A journey to healthy eating habits
In partnership with
The competition has come to an end after the close of a vote on the ADEA Facebook page.
ADEA is pleased to announced the following two overall winners:
There are also two highly commended winners:
ADEA would like to take this opportunity to appreciate your time and effort in supporting this competition. We look forward to another successful event next time.
Competition closed after Facebook voting
About World Diabetes Day
This year’s World Diabetes Day (WWD) will be celebrated on Thursday 14 November to mark the birthday of Frederick Banting, who, along with Charles Best, first conceived the idea which led to the discovery of insulin in 1922.
The World Diabetes Day campaign, led by the International Diabetes Federation and its member associations since 1991, engages millions of people worldwide in diabetes advocacy and awareness. The campaign draws attention to issues of paramount importance to the diabetes world and keeps diabetes firmly in the public spotlight.
About the competition ‘A journey to healthy eating habits’
The Australian Diabetes Educators Association (ADEA) is excited to promote World Diabetes Day. This year we are highlighting healthy eating as one way to prevent diabetes and its health complications. Our competition, ‘A journey to healthy eating habits’ hopes to inspire our members and the public to come up with innovative ways to raise awareness and generate delicious and user-friendly resources to share in the community.
Do you have an appetite for creativity? Your entry can highlight different dietary needs, e.g. gluten free; swap the ingredients, e.g. modify popular recipe; have a cultural focus, e.g. an ideal recipe during Ramadan; or nurture the collaborative approach.
There are two categories for you to select from:
- Category 1 – Innovative teaching – healthy eating
- Category 2 – Best recipe – healthy eating
You are able to submit one entry in each category.
The overall winner in each category will receive:
- 1 x eVoucher to purchase magazine subscriptions on Magshop.com.au, valued at $100
- 1 x copy of Catherine Saxelby’s, ‘Complete Food and Nutrition Companion – The Ultimate A-Z Guide’, provided by the author, Catherine Saxelby, valued at $45
- 1 x copy of Better Home and Garden’s ‘Diabetic Living’ magazine, valued at $7.95
- 1 x 1 year subscription as an ADEA member, valued at $265
- 1 x ADEA t-shirt, valued at $30
Total prize value: $447.95
Highly commended winners
Runners up will receive
- 1 x copy of Better Home and Garden’s ‘Diabetic Living’ magazine
- 1 x ADEA mug
- 1 x ADEA BMI wheel
Winning and highly commended entries from both categories will be collaged into an electronic resource available on ADEA website.
Category 1 – Innovative teaching – healthy eating
Share your experience of healthy eating habits through an article (maximum of 300 words) with a relevant image (optional). Your image could portray your resources in action, or show groups or individuals who have participated in your work.
Entries for this category need to demonstrate innovative ways of educating people about healthy eating habits with a brief description and photos, or other technology of the activity.
Some examples might include:
- Supermarket tours, farmers market tours
- Cooking classes (e.g. classes for; men, people with disabilities, young people, CALD)
- Indigenous bush tucker walks
- Innovative teaching aids
- Interactive apps and websites to share
- Any public health activities to try and improve a school or restaurant or supermarket
- Modifying religious feasting
- Progressive dinner parties that involve walking
- Healthy children food stalls
Category 2 – Best recipe – healthy eating
Share your most healthy recipe along with some delicious photos. Please the competition guideline for Appendix 1 – Tips for developing healthy recipes and Appendix 2 – Tips for taking good food photos.
There are 3 sub-categories of recipes. (This will be clearly indicated by contestants on their entry form):
- Entries open: Wednesday 26 August 2013
- Entries close: Monday 14 October 2013
- Judging: from Tuesday 8 to Tuesday 22 October 2013
- Entries open for voting on ADEA Facebook: from Wednesday 23 October 2013 to Monday 11 November 2013. Voting is available at ADEA Facebook.
- Resource available: Thursday 14 November 2013 – World Diabetes Day
Panel of judges
Kasey Bateup, an Accredited Practising Dietitian and an Accredited Nutritionist from Nutrition Australia.
Lisa Taylor, a consumer, new author with the Australian Diabetes Educator publication
and founder of the Gestational Diabetes Recipes Website.
Rachel McKeown, a Credentialled Diabetes Educator, an Accredited Practising Dietitian
and a member of the Dietitians Association Australia.