Diabetes and intellectual disability: new resources
The following resources are now available to assist health professionals and people living with diabetes and an intellectual disability:
For health professionals:
- The guide for health professionals titled ‘Effective communication with people who have an intellectual disability about their diabetes’ is available on the NDSS website ndss.com.au under the ‘resources for health professionals’ tab.
- The online learning module ‘Tailor your communication skills: A training module for health professionals caring for adults with diabetes and an intellectual disability’. Visit healthprofessionals.learnupon.com to sign up and access this course. This module is endorsed by ADEA for 4 CPD points.
For people living with diabetes and an intellectual disability (and their carers):
- A series of low-literacy videos covering:
- What is diabetes
- My diabetes team
- Caring for my body
- Preventing other health problems
- Medications to help my diabetes.
- Choosing healthy foods information sheet
- Diabetes visit cards to help make visiting a health professional easier.
To access these resources, go to ndss.com.au