Department of Veterans Affairs
Credentialled Diabetes Educators (CDEs) have been recognised as the appropriately qualified health care professionals to provide diabetes education to Australian veterans.
Veterans must meet the following criteria to be eligible for consultations with a CDE:
- Hold a Repatriation Health Card – For All Conditions (Gold Card)
- Hold a Repatriation Health Card – For Specific Conditions (White Card) and diabetes education is required because of an accepted war service caused injury or disease
A veteran must be referred to the CDE by one of the following:
- A Local Medical Officer (LMO)/General Practitioner
- A medical specialist
- A hospital discharge planner
- Another diabetes educator with a current referral
Referrals remain active for 12 months from the date of referral. Referral dates cannot overlap from one 12 month period to the next. An ongoing referral can only be provided in certain circumstances.
Individual and group consultations
Veterans are eligible for diabetes education provided both as individual consultations and as group services.
Looking for diabetes education services?
For more information, please visit the website of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
To locate a CDE in your area, please click here to return to the 'Find a CDE' search function of this website.
To locate specialist diabetes education centers or services recognised by the National Association of Diabetes Centers, please click here.